Floods, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are risks we all face living in Louisiana. But for all the damage they cause and deaths they can leave in their wakes, you are far more likely to be hurt or killed just walking down the street than you are in any of those events. Pedestrian accidents upend lives every single day in America, killing thousands every year and injuring tens of thousands more.
Louisiana Is the Third Most Dangerous State for Pedestrians
Consider these harrowing statistics:
- 5,376 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States in 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That equals one crash-related pedestrian death every 1.6 hours
- Just under 129,000 pedestrians were treated in emergency departments in 2015 for non-fatal crash-related injuries.
- Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely than vehicle occupants to die in a car crash on each trip
- According to a 2017 report by the group Smart Growth America, Americans were 7.2 times more likely to die as a pedestrian than as a victim of a natural disaster
- That same Smart Growth America study ranked Louisiana the third most dangerous state in the country for pedestrians, with 1,024 Louisianans killed in pedestrian accidents between 2005 and 2014
Most pedestrians are injured or killed by the negligence or recklessness of drivers who fail to exercise the proper care and caution when pedestrians are present. When that happens, and a pedestrian is hurt or killed as a result, those responsible can and should be held accountable. At the Patrick Yancey Law Firm in Houma, our pedestrian accident lawyers fight to obtain compensation for pedestrians whose lives have been torn apart after a pleasant walk becomes a never-ending nightmare.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents have been a problem for over 100 years, but the number of accidents has increased dramatically in recent years, mainly due to the distractions caused by the rise in smartphone use by both pedestrians and drivers.
Some of the most common reasons for pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk or impaired driving
- Failing to stop or yield the right of way
- Failing to account for poor weather or lighting conditions
- Left–hand turns, with a driver more focused on oncoming traffic than crossing pedestrians
- Back–up accidents, such as in parking lots or driveways
Any of these reasons can be the basis of a personal injury lawsuit if a pedestrian is injured or killed because of such conduct. Vulnerable, unprotected pedestrians are no match for a ton of metal hitting them, even at a low rate of speed. Broken bones, lacerations, brain and spinal injuries, and paralysis are just a few of the ways a pedestrian accident can turn a life upside-down, with costly and painful treatment and rehabilitation, mounting medical bills, lost wages, and diminished mobility creating a lifetime of challenges.
Speak With an Experienced Louisiana Pedestrian Accident Injury Attorney Today
Individuals who were hurt or families who have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident have steadfast allies and powerful advocates at the Houma offices of the Patrick Yancey Law Firm. Our experienced Louisiana pedestrian accident attorneys fight tirelessly to get pedestrian accident victims the compensation they need and the justice they deserve.
Please call us today to arrange for your free initial case evaluation.